This community

This community has one of the oddest group dynamics I've encountered
in an open source project.  Specifically, I've received a number of
suggestions recently that primary maintainers are compensated directly
for their work on gzigzag.  _Would someone do the public community a
favor of explaining what exactly the power dynamic is here?_ Who's
paying for work?  What expectations do they have of being able to
direct development?  Who's leading development?  Who has final say on
feature development?

As near as I can tell, AJ is the lead developer, and there's some
money flowing towards his general direction which (probably correctly)
leads to a sense of entitlement on some other people's part.  But it's
still an open-source project, with multiple people with CVS authority.
Is there anyone who has CVS authority that is not being compensated
for their work?

Those who have been involved with other volunteer open source projects
(such as AJ, I suspect) will perhaps understand some of my confusion.

-- jared@xxxxxxxxxxx

"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." - Muriel Rukeyser