:zz: Containment (was Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: :zzSig: Containment dims (was Re2: Questions

Hi Benja--

>I have a question about containment which I'd need to have answered if
>containment is to appear 'correctly' in Gzz; Andrew, maybe you can help
>me here?-- The question is: Do cells that contain other cells also
>contain text in the normal way? Or is it like with clones (they can
>contain text internally, but it won't get interpreted)?

In principle yes, they can have their own contents,
 which have the same status as the contents of the cells
 they contain.

Best, Ted

At 10:25 AM 5/4/02 +0200, you wrote:

>Ted, Jan--
>
>> Yes: the double-dot indicates a *derivative* dimension,
>>  subordinate conceptually to some other dimension.
>>
>> I have found that often dimensions want to come in pairs,
>>  though I don't remember other examples at this moment.
>
>d.mark and d..mark-set--
>     so that you can have different sets of marks:
>     each set of marks is a headcell in d..mark-set,
>     each marked cell is a headcell in d.mark,
>     and for each mark there is a relcell that is
>     on both ranks.
>
>d.trigger and d..trigger-list (won't be used in Gzz, likely)--
>     headcell on d.trigger is a cell that triggers something if
>     it changes, headcell on d..trigger-list is a cell that
>     is re-evaluated when triggered, and for each relationship
>     trigger cell/triggered cell, there is a relcell on both ranks.
>
>d.cursor and d..cursor-list--
>     a corner list structure (like the containment structure),
>     with the elements "under" some other element being the
>     cursors on that cell; this allows cursors to accurse other
>     cursor cells, even themselves.
>
>     (This probably needs more explanations; a diagram can be found
>     in the 'zzspec' in the Gzz repository, I think.)
>
> > Note that this notion of containment applies in principle
> >  to both programs and data.  However, nobody has
> >  seriously implemented containment to enact both.
> >  (A depth setting has been suggested as a way to prevent
> >  accidental runaway perpetual loops; but if you *want*
> >  this mechanism to allow perpetual loops, well, we can
> >  discuss it :)
>
>Gzz 0.8 or 0.9 will do this, when released. (0.8 will do it if we
>implement containment.)
>
>I have a question about containment which I'd need to have answered if
>containment is to appear 'correctly' in Gzz; Andrew, maybe you can help
>me here?-- The question is: Do cells that contain other cells also
>contain text in the normal way? Or is it like with clones (they can
>contain text internally, but it won't get interpreted)?
>
>Cheers,
>- Benja

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965