Re: :zz,dictron: ZZ server versus clickable file

You saith (with regards to opening a ZZ file
 versus starting a client session, I think)--

>Here are examples of the two kinds of URL:
>
>http://www.xanadu.net/zigzag/example
>http://localhost:5678/

In other words, one URL is a file and the other is
 a directory?  Except I've never seen that colon before ...

But you also said (in another email)--
>> But they both open the same way, with a click on a URL.
>
>Yes.  But quite different URLs!
>
>> Seems to me our program could deal with either eventuality, right?
>
>I don't see why not.  The first case starts zigzag with a command line
>parameter indicating a disk file written by the client, the second case
>attempts to contact an already running zigzag server via a socket.

My question is, couldn't it open for any purpose by
 clicking on a desktop filey-looking thing, which starts
 the server-push connection?  (I've had server-push connections
 started by filey-looking things)

It's clear to me that there's some vital distinction here from
 your point of view.  The question is, can't it be hidden
 from the user's point of view?

Chrz T

At 03:59 PM 6/19/98 +1000, you wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 19, 1998 at 10:45:59AM +0900, Ted Nelson wrote:
>> >The ZZ program never opens a push connection from a server - it IS the
>> >server, and it expects the client to open a connection to it.

>> >Yes.  But quite different URLs!
>>
>> I don't get it.  Why can't  the URLs be similar?
>
>Well, uh, I guess it depends on your definition of "similar".
>Here are examples of the two kinds of URL:
>
>http://www.xanadu.net/zigzag/example
>http://localhost:5678/
>
>Cheers,
>	*** Xanni ***
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.net/xanadu/                   Technical VP, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technical Editor, Glass Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 3 96511511

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day:
"Education is the process of ruining different subjects for you.  The last
subject to be ruined determines your profession."  Ted Nelson, ca. 1970.