[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Fwd: In-Band Information Considered Harmful
- To: xanadu@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Fwd: In-Band Information Considered Harmful
- From: Rich Pasco <pasco@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 07:16:35 -0800
- References: <22.214.171.124.19981026195901.01060bc0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Reply-to: xanadu@xxxxxxxxxx
Why harmful? Looking to see your article.
If not embedded then where?
Until I read your article, I find myself inclined to disagree.
I would much rather have an ASCII file with embedded markup than a file
with binary markup (e.g. MS-Word, WordPerfect, etc.). At least I know
I'll be able to read it 25 years from now.
What about an ASCII file with a separate file for markup, giving byte
offsets into the ASCII file? This would then require a special editor
to keep the pointers straight, whereas HTML, etc., can be edited with
any vanilla text editor.