The Triad's Wild Card

I have gotten responses from all the people who will bear the
brunt of the effort if we try to demo an integrated Autocad/Xanadu
at Autofact. Everyone wants to do it. Roger will get the Sun
frontend running; Greg will get the Autocad frontend running;
Joel will organize  the event from our end with Susan Sheridan
(poor Susan, you thought you had enough problems already, didn't
you? :-).

Here we go!

The general plan is to have fine grain links running to and fro
between drawn objects in Autocad and textual objects in the Xanadu
frontend (where the Xanadu frontend is a subset of the planned
shrinkwrap frontend). Using this capability, we will construct
some variation of Joel's AEC presentation. This presentation
currently lives as a series of Supercard pictures of what hypothetically
"could be". The demo, in embodying a part of this presentation,
will transform it into what "will be".

My current thought is that both Autocad and Xanadu would be running
on a Sun 3 (Roger, how much extra nightmare does this give you,
porting to the 3? Greg, how agonizing would it be to port the
code you build on the 3 to a 4?).

John has pointed out to me that it's better to arrange for gear
that you don't need, than to need gear that you didn't arrange
for. So, just in case everything's working as planned, I think
we should arrange to have, not only a Sun 3, but also a Mac IIx
with a big screen and an Ethernet hookup at the demo. Since the
Mac frontend is  ahead of the Sun frontend, if the Sun frontend
can support the demo, the Mac can probably support the Sun. Though
we wouldn't be able to run a link to an Autocad drawing from
the Mac, we could run a link from a text document that we're
seeing on the Sun, out to a text document we're seeing on the
Mac, and edit either document from either machine.

Wouldn't that be a trip?

--marcs