Dick Gabriel on Market Acceptance

http://www.dreamsongs.com/NewFiles/AcceptanceModels.pdf

This slide-show, which I believe is from around 1997 or so, is part of the RPG's 'Worse is Better' series of essays and pseudo-debates (see http://www.dreamsongs.com/WorseIsBetter.html). It discusses the reasons why inventors and innovators are rarely successful in the marketplace. Be wary of his persistent bias in favor of Lisp and Smalltalk, however (and I say this even though I share that bias to a degree). The section on the Web, Netscape, and MSIE is particularly interesting; he correctly realized that MS would overwhelm Netscape in the long term, something that would not have been obvious to most observers at that time.