Re: [zzdev] :gzz: Usage & Problem Report (version of 06.28)

Hi--

>> ? When I deleted a new dimension name, or rearranged
>>  the dimension names, rotation of dimensions became impossible.
>
>Hmmm??? Did you by any chance delete a pink cell? Those are the ones
>the dimensions are now selected of and if you delete one, then that
>dimension is frozen.

Definitely not.  What I did may have had the same *effect*
 somewhere in the innards, however.

>> ? When I hit 'escape' to go home, the left-hand window rotated
>>  into the dimensions of the right-hand window.
>
>Actually, both go to d.1 d.2 d.3, I think - or not?

Nope.  It was something like d.dates, d.marriage, d.clone ...
 Same thing's happened several times, dift combinations.

>> ? The left-hand window cannot seem to rotate its dimension views.
>>  It should be usable for general exploration, dims must rotate.
>
>Control-X, Control-Y, Control-Z

I vote for caps, harmonize with prototype.

>> ? (Windows-specific) After half an hour's use I got the Blue Screen
>>  of Warning, restarts didn't help (still Blue Screen of Warning),
>>  had to reboot.
>> If this is a general Java problem in Windows, then it's a problem
>>  with Java, right?  They say it works on everything ...  And 80%
>>  of the human race will have this problem.
>
>It's a problem of *Windows*, not Java, I'd think. Windows with I/O heavy
>stuff is asking for trouble. And because we're doing heavy I/O, writing
>after every step, then windows will fail.
>
>There is one way I can lower the number of writes to disk, which might
>help. But I'd recommend doing any important demos on Linux exactly
>because of this.

Aha!

Yes, I've asked Andrew to set up Gzz on my Linux machine,
 but heard nothing back.

ChrzT

At 04:01 AM 7/7/00 +0300, you wrote:
>> ? When I deleted a new dimension name, or rearranged
>>  the dimension names, rotation of dimensions became impossible.
>
>Hmmm??? Did you by any chance delete a pink cell? Those are the ones
>the dimensions are now selected of and if you delete one, then that
>dimension is frozen.
>
>> ? When I hit 'escape' to go home, the left-hand window rotated
>>  into the dimensions of the right-hand window.
>
>Actually, both go to d.1 d.2 d.3, I think - or not?
>
>> ? The left-hand window cannot seem to rotate its dimension views.
>>  It should be usable for general exploration, dims must rotate.
>
>Control-X, Control-Y, Control-Z
>
>> ? (Windows-specific) After half an hour's use I got the Blue Screen
>>  of Warning, restarts didn't help (still Blue Screen of Warning),
>>  had to reboot.
>> If this is a general Java problem in Windows, then it's a problem
>>  with Java, right?  They say it works on everything ...  And 80%
>>  of the human race will have this problem.
>
>It's a problem of *Windows*, not Java, I'd think. Windows with I/O heavy
>stuff is asking for trouble. And because we're doing heavy I/O, writing
>after every step, then windows will fail.
>
>There is one way I can lower the number of writes to disk, which might
>help. But I'd recommend doing any important demos on Linux exactly
>because of this.
>
>	Tuomas

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965