:zz: DEMO CELLS, TYPED OUT

By request, here is the typed version of the current
 demo cell-tissue (introduced ca.zz 0.50).
It complements the directions for the system
 which are to be found at
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/zigzag/zzDirex.html
======================================

I will type these as columns of cells.
Cell above is separated by
- - -
from cell below.
New column is indicated by
=====
"Left" and "right" mean on d.1
"above" and "below" mean on d.2
"behind" means on d.3
========================

- - - 630
*HIT q TO OPEN A QUAD WINDOW.

- - - 626
*ZigZag Hyperstructure Const. Kit v.0.50.
(c) 1986, 1997, 1998 Project Xanadu, www.xanadu.net.
Sold as shareware for $25 US, with no warranty express or implied.
+Credits
\/ Contact info

- - - 629
Ted Nelson
 ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Andrew Pam
 xanni@xxxxxxxxxx
Marlene Mallicoat
 marlene@xxxxxxxxxx
Project Xanadu: 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965.
Phone: 415-331-4422
 Fax 415-332-0136

====
- - - 628 (behind and in front of 626)
*CREDITS
Design by Ted Nelson, approx. 1986.
Implementation by Andrew Pam, 1997-8.
Maintenance by Bek Oberin, 1998.
Administration and encouragement by Marlene Mallicoat, 1992-8.
+
=====

- - - 540
ORIENTATION
ZigZag consists of structures and operations in zzspace (quantum hyperspace).

< Def. of quantum hyperspace
> zz operations

- - - 534
*DIRECTIONS

< Basic views and moves

> CHANGES (new cells, connections, dimensions)

- - - 535 (Right of 626)
*WELCOME TO ZIGZAG.
Prepare for a Trip.

/\/\ Orientation
/\ Directions
\/ Conventions
\/\/ Suggestions
\/\/\/ Apologies

- - - 539
+CONVENTIONS

- - - 612
* Suggestions--

>For the demos

- - - 627
* Apologies
This is the first version sold with any data to explore.

The directions are still very sparse and perhaps hard to understand.  We
hope to improve it in further versions.
\/

- - - 704
Thank you for your support.

=====
- - - 649 (left of 534)
+ BASIC VIEWS & MOVES

=====
- - - 565 (behind 649)
+*Going Home (esp. when in doubt or worried)
To take a cursor to the Home cell, hit "g" or "G".

=====
- - - 566 (behind 565)
+* GETTING OUT OF TROUBLE
There are occasional lockups.
 WRITE THESE DOWN:
control-q (if nothing responds)
control-c (gets you out, tends to fix up the data)
fg (if it says "Suspended")

=====
- - - 536 (behind 566)
+* CURSORING
>Cursor Keys (right window)
<Cursor Keys (left window)

=====
- - - 538 (left of 536)
*Cursoring in left window:
Use the alpha keys in the diamond pattern
  e       (up)
s  f      (left, right)
  c       (down)
d         (in, or forward on z-axis)
D        (out, or back on z-axis)

=====
- - - 537 (right of 536)
*Right-cursor keys:
For two-handed touch typing, you can use the alpha keys in a diamond pattern:
j   l
  ,
OR just use the arrow keys.
k  in on z-axis.
K  out on z-axis.

=====
- - - 721 (behind 536)
*ROTATING VIEWS
We call the axes in the right window x, y, z.
We call the axes in the left window X, Y, Z.
To change what axes are shown, type the corresponding letter to step
through the dimensions.

=====
- - - 543 (behind 721)
+*VIEW RASTERS
A view raster is the order in which cells are shown from the cursor.
There are presently only two views--
H (columns from a central row)
I (rows from a central column)
> Try them--

=====
- - - 544 (behind 543 and in front of 649)
+*CELL VIEWS
There are presently three cell views:
Cells as bricks, rastering outward from the cursor
Quad view (open in 1/4 of the window)
 Try "q" and "Q" repeatedly.
Fully-screen edit (ctrl-k)

=====
- - - 650 (right of 534)
CHANGES

=====
- - - 653 (behind 650)
+*EDIT CELL
ctrl-k opens for editing the cell accursed in blue, into whatever editor
has been configured.
On the HZ-50 boot floppy, this is an editor called "Joe", which shows its
own directions.
+

=====
- - - 651 (behind 653)
+*NEW CELL (keys)
n(direction) creates a new cell in the specified direction, and opens it
for editing.
N(direction [sic] creates a new cell in the specified direction, and does
NOT open it for editing.
+

=====
- - - 652 (behind 651)
+*NEW CELL (menu)
#R-Ins, #L-Ins
 #U-Ins, #D-Ins
 create cells right, left, up, down
#I-Ins, #O-Ins create cells Inward/Forward-in-z, Outward/Backward-in-z

They don't open for editing.      +

=====
- - - 654 (behind 652)
+*CONNECT

cellnumber(direction)

This makes the connection, IF that cell is unconnected at the edge to which
you are pointing.

\/ required condition

- - - 655
*Ordinarily the accursed cell (from which you are pointing) must have its
edge free to make the connection.

\/ Exception

- - 656
*Exception: if the cell you are pointing at is free on both sides in that
direction, it can be INSERTED.

\/ Example

- - - 657
*Example:

Suppose the blue cursor is on cell B in row A-B-C.

You type 237j.  If cell 237 is free on both left and right, the result will
be

A-237-B-C.

=====
- - - 659 (behind 654)
+* BREAK CONNECTION

b(direction)

This breaks the connection in the specified direction.

It may also be used from the menu.

=====
- - - 718 (behind 659)
+* DELETE
Use "delete" key, or "Delete" on the menu.

\/  Deleting dimensions

- - - 719
*DELETING DIMENSIONS
Some dimensions may be deleted.  (d.3, and any you create.)
Go negward on d.1 from Home to the dimension list (where it says "d.1").
Put cursor on cell in dimension list, hit Delete.

=====
- - - 720 (behind 718 and in front of 650)
+*NEW DIMENSION
Go to dimension list (negward of Home on d.2) and type on it the name of
your new dimension, starting with "d." (a convention).
You will find that when you rotate now, the new dimension is part of it.

=====
- - - 613 (right of 612)
*Use the left cursor to read the directions with its quad window open, the
right cursor to explore (and do the occasional operation, since the right
cursor is where operationstake [sic] place).

=====
- - - 541 (left of 540)
*ZZSPACE
ZigZag space, or ZZspace, consists of cell structures connected in any
number of dimensions.  You may add dimensions at any time.
\/ Technicalities of quantum dimensions

- - - 560
*TECHNICALITIES OF DIMENSIONS & RANKS

<Definition of a dimension by itself

>RANKS: Definition of a Rank

\/Definition of a dimension in terms of ranks
- - - 570
*Def. of dimension in terms of Ranks--

A dimension is all the ranks which are parallel (and may be seen together).

=====
- - - 571 (left of 568)
*Def.of dimension by itself--

A dimension is all the connector-pairs having the same name.

(This may not help a lot at first.)

=====
- - - 572 (right of 568)
*RANKS
A rank is an ordered set of cells,
 either--
 Linear Rank: A-B-C-D
 RingRank, which loops: A-B-C-D-A...
 (repeating indefinitely)

\/ Interesting Rank Appearances

- - - (569)
*Rank appearances--
A rank may be seen to loop (if it's a ringrank).
A rank may be seen to cross a screen more than once--
< Double, triple loop (etc.)
> Spiral

=====
- - - 581 (left of 569)
*(Double, Triple loop demo not yet set up.  Sorry.)

=====
- - - 582 (right of 569)
+ To Spiral

=====
- - - 592
* Structure operations (current)

New: cell
 n,N(direction)
Connect:
 cellnumber(directn)
Break: connection
 b(direction)
Clone or transclude:
 t, T
Hop: h(direction)

- - - 589 (left of 540)
+*zzOPS
ZigZag Operations are of two types:
/\ Structure operations
> View operations

\/ Menus
+ Scripting and Programming

- - - 573
*zzMenus
Menus are simply cells in zzspace which are executable.
The left (green) cursor selects an operation, which takes place at the
right (blue) cursor.
+ Try it

=====
- - - 591 (right of 589)
+*View operations (current)

The current view operations are:
Quad view:     q, Q
Raster toggle   v, V
Moving the cursor is a kind of view operation, but it also changes the
structure (+).

=====
- - - 596 (behind and in front of 591)
*+ How cursoring changes the structure--

\/ The cursor is a cell
> How refreshment takes place

- - - 597
*The cursor is a cell, connected to the current cell posward in d.cursor.

Each time you move the cursor, it is disconnected from the old current cell
and connected to a cursor cell.

=====
- - - 598 (right of 596)
* A window is refreshed by looking negward from its cursor to the first
non-cursor cell,
refreshing Park Avenue and Main Street,
refreshing other rows or columns depending on view.

=====
- - - 599 (behind and in front of 589)
+*zzScripting and Programming
The ZigZag system may be extended by--
< Scripting (weaving existing command cells)
> Programming (creating new command cells in Perl)
+next

=====
- - -574 (left of 599)
*zzScripting

Users will script by cloning menu cells into new cells.  The new cells will
carry out multiple operations if desired.

> Programming
< Good Order [not there]

=====
- - - 575 (right of 599)
*zzProgramming

ZigZag may be programmed by writing new routines in Perl.
> Prog. notes
\/ Allowed structural operations [not there]

=====
- - - 593 (right of 575)
\/ Programming Notes

- - - 594
* Separation of Functions

We recommend that every separate function be put in its own cell, to make
it scriptable by cloning.

- - - 595
Hatch-mark

An executable cell presently begins with a hatch-mark (#).

- - - 542
*Allowable Structure operations

Any structural operation in ZZspace is legitimate if it leaves the system
in good order.

+ Definition of good order

=====
- - - 588 (behind and in front of 542)
*Def. of Good Order

Each connection is known to both cells.

+ next

=====
- - - 586 (behind 539)
*Convention for the naming of dimensions (which we suggest you follow)
d.whatever

Examples:
d.1, d.2, d.3 ... d.cursor, d.clone ....

=====
- - - 577 (behind 586)
*MORE CONVENTIONS
* something here to read (besides title)
+ go forward (k or d)
< go left (j or s or left-arrow)
> go right  (lower-case l or right arrow)
/\ go up (i or e)
\/ go down (",") or c)

and so: +next

=====
- - - 587 (behind 577)
*
<< left twice
>> right twice
/\/\ up twice
\/\/ down twice
<\/ left, then down
etc.

<next
- - - 579 (left of 587)
*If there's something to read (*) AND a possible step forward, we say +*.

+ Next

=====
- - - 580 (behind 579 and in front of 539)
Directions will generally you [sic] on a loop along dimension 3 (a ringrank).

+next

=====
- - - 578 (behind 587)
*Ha!  You weren't paying attention.

===== The following loops (vertical ringrank)
- - -  708 (left of 535-- connects above to 710)
*What is it?
/\
\/

- - - 715
* A genealization of the Spreadsheet
/\
\/
< Ways like the spreadsheet
> Ways unlike the spreadsheet

- - - 713
*A new world in which to build integrated software
/\
\/

- - - 712
* General-purpose software with default interfaces for everything
/\
\/

- - - 711
*An interesting and humorous environment
/\
\/

- - - 714
*Operations in quantum hyperspace
/\
\/

- - - 710 (connects below to 708)
*A Universe of Generalized Interconnection
/\
\/

=====
- - - 716 (left of 715)
*Ways ZZ is like the spreadsheet--

Rows andcolumns
Each cell may have at most two connections in each dimension

=====
- - -  717 (right of 715)
*Ways ZZ is unlike the spreadsheet--

No constraint of rectangularity
Right and down not necessarily same as down and right (etc)

=====
- - - 127 (right of 708)
>Let's

=====
- - - 636
*DEMOS (best)
+ Genealogy
++ PDA

- - - 128 (left of 127)
Explore!
- - - 451
*HIT q TO READ THIS
 (signalled by the asterisk).

This asks you to open a quad window.

\/ more

- - - 452
* "q" or "Q" opens the Quad Window and closes it again.

YOU CAN SCROLL WITH THE QUAD WINDOW OPEN.

\/ more

- - - 453
* to go in different directions--

< means GO LEFT (j, s)
> means GO RIGHT (l, f)
\/  GO DOWN (c, comma)
/\  GO UP (i, e)
+  GO FORWARD (k, d)

=====
- - - 533 (right of 128)
zzSpaces

===== [below begin the demos, not included]
- - - 310 (right of 533)
\/

- - - 312
+RASTERS

- - - 130
SPREADSHEET

- - - 131
*OUTLINE
A conventional computer outliner creates and maintains a hierarchical
structure.  You require a special application.
A ZigZag outline is a particular structure of cells.

- - - 295
*CONTROLS
This little demo shows how we may easily use ZigZag as a simple menu for
devices such as cameras, VCRs, etc.

Just hop your choices so the ^ points to them.

- - - 427
[a dash]

- - - 634

*GENEALOGY of the House of Windsor.
This is Sketchy-- from a chart we pulled off the Web, but it gives some
idea of the visualizations possible.
! means King or Queen.

- - - 179
PDA >

- - - 278
FUNSTRUX

- - - 428
CUBE >

- - - 429
4-CUBE

- - - 362
SPIRL

- - - 361
WEAVE

=====
- - - 476 (behind 312)
+*Crsr

Try hitting "v" and "V", watch top of window.

The current column does not change.

+ Now let's add the current row--

=====
- - - 463 (behind 476)
+*Crsr

The central row in both H and I raster we call "Main Street".
Try hitting "v" and "V", watch top of windows.

+Now for other cells--

=====
- - - 511 (behind 463 and in front of 545)
+*Cursr
The View toggle (v and V for right and left window) flips between H raster
and I raster.
AS YOU FLIP WATCH:
Rows replacing columns and vice versa
Top of windowframe
+Next

=====
- - - 600 (right of 130)
* Comment:
A spreadsheet is a rectangular array of cells--
all columns same height
all rows the same width
down & right = right & down, etc.
>FOR US THIS IS A SPECIAL CASE--

=====
- - - 311 (right of 600)
*Regular grid

The special case of a regular grid can be created in ZigZag by particular
cell connectgions.

From the other cells to the right, try flipping between I and H rasters.

=====
- - - 635 (right of 634)
*DIMENSIONS
You need a d.4.
 Dimension assignments are:
d.1  Name segments
d.2  Lists of names, alphabetical
d.3  Marriage/Mating
  + means Issue
  - means No Issue
d.4  Sequence/time
\/
- - - 701
*Start with !Victoria (Victoria the Queen)
and work your way down to her offspring
Kaiser Wilhelm
or the current princes.

< Suggested good views

=====
- - - 705 (left of 701)
* Main views
x=d.1, y=d.2
 Names, alphabetical (both first and last)
x=d.3,y=d.4
 Marriages and offspring (that we know of)

\/ Other good views

- - - 706
*Other good views
x=d.3, y=d.2
 First names alphabetical, with marriages
x=d.4, y=d.2
 First names alphabetical, with siblings

=====
- - - 625 (left of 278)
*Try interconnecting these cells.
The combinations become fancier as the number grows.
(And try bringing in both cursors.)

=====
- - - 616 (left of 428)
*To your right are two squares, which are also connected in d.3, making a
cube.

You may test this by going forward in d.3, or putting d.3 on one of the
axes of view.

=====
- - - 617 (left of 429)
This is a four-dimensional cube.

If you don't know what that means, don't mess with it.  This example makes
non-scientists miserable.

\/

- - - 621
*First look at the cube made by squares ijkl and mnop, which are connected
to each other in dimension d.3.
\/

- - - 619
*NOW, edit d.4 into the dimension list,
and rotate as you choose to observe the following 4-dimensional structure:

\/

- - - 622
*The previous cube (squares abcd and efgh) is connected in dimension d.4 to
the second cube (squares ijkl and mnop).

\/

- - - 620
*The first cube you saw (squares abcd and efgh) is connected to the second
cube (squares ijkl and mnop) on the fourth dimension (d.4).

- - - 618
*Just as square abcd is connected to square efgh in d.3, and square ijkl is
connected to square mnop in d.3,
square abef is connnected [sic] to square ijmn in d.4,
and square cdgh is connected to square klop in d.4.  \/
- - - 623
*All four of these dimensions behave identically in this context.

=====
- - - 583 (right of 362)
+*Suggestion for seeing spiral:

Just cursor to the right and watch what happens.

+Explanation

=====
- - - 584 (behind 583)
+*Each capital letter (A to Z) is in a cell, connected in one long rank.
However, they are also connected vertically.
As you go rightward, you see these connections.

+More

=====
- - - 585 (behind 584 and in front of 583)
We call it a "spiral" because it proceeds monotonically  in one direction
(in this case, posward in d.2).

+ next

=====
- - - 624 (left of 361)
*This shows how even two monotonically arranged dimensions, with no
paradoxical connections, can contain surprising structures.

> Explore..
 (and try the H and I rasters).

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.11.12:
"Everything is just like everything else.  And sometimes even more so."
TN98