[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [zzdev] Re: Ranks
- To: zzdev@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [zzdev] Re: Ranks
- From: Bek Oberin <gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:44:47 +1100
- In-reply-to: <19981029182637.21644.qmail@xxxxxxxxxx>; from Mark-Jason Dominus on Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 01:26:37PM -0500
- References: <19981029004149.17351.qmail@xxxxxxxxxx> <19981029182637.21644.qmail@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Reply-to: zzdev@xxxxxxxxxx
Mark-Jason Dominus wrote:
> > > "Rank" is the generalized term for "row" and "column",
> Now, suppose the rank has an extra cell on the end that contains a name for
> the data in the rank, like this:
> MALE SIMPSONS -- Homer -- Bart -- Abe -- Flanders -- Skinner -- Nelson
> Now it's a collection of data that has a label. This is precisely
> what a conventional computer file is, so let's call it a file.
> Now we have ranks and files. Ha ha ha!
You fit in here REALLY well :)
: gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/
: In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by
: side with the giants on whose shoulders we stand.
: -- Gerald Holton