Re: [zzdev] Brainwave: Cell Contents

Dear Bek,

This shows how sharp you are.  This is just what
 Andrew and I have decided.

Keeping the contents outside the cells will make
 lots of things easier, including hand-editing and
 eyeball viewing, fusion of datasets from different
 machines, etc.

More soon.  Also I think I sent out a memo on this
 yesterday.

ChrzT

At 08:45 PM 9/25/98 +1000, you wrote:

>This occured to me while I was in the shower (why do brainwaves
>always come when you're in the shower and too wet and soapy to
>write them down (Hmmm, whiteboards in the shower, anybody?)).
>
>Ahem, anyway ...
>
>Is there any particular reason that all the data in a particular
>zigzag data file (We DO need a name for one of those.  Call it a
>'zag'?) (Then we can call the activity of using ZZ 'zigging' :) (but I
>digress ...) to be all in one "place"?
>
>Currently we store ALL the ZZ data for a single "database" in one
>file, usually zigzig.data in the current directory.  I recall people
>talking about interfacing ZZ with OSMIC and hence storing all the data
>in one OSMIC server.
>
>What about letting a cell contain a REFERENCE and then we can display
>the referent instead of the reference.  Like formulas in spreadsheets
>where you enter a formula but it displays to you the result, not the
>formula.
>
>So if you entered:
>   http://xanadu.net/ZZ/
>as the only contents of a cell then ZZ will grab the page (this is easy
>in perl) and display THAT in the cell.
>
>Or if you entered:
>   osmic://servername/1-22,44-45,some-other-offsets
>it will query the OSMIC server on servername and construct the right
>display from the offsets you give it.  Etc.
>
>You could also, a-la Lynx, enter:
>   file://localhost/home/gossamer/notes
>and it'll grab the file off the disk and display THAT ... or
>   exec://localhost/file/name/of/a/program
>and it'll execute the program and display its OUTPUT!
>
>If you wanted to go the whole-hog you could make a referent the ONLY
>thing a cell can contain, and if the user tries to edit an empty cell
>you can invent a local file (say ~/.zigzag/some-random-name) and etid
>that.  Sorta like HyperWave invents filenames if they aren't
>specified.
>

>Positives:
>   - You can edit the individual text files out of ZigZag if you want
>     to.  (This is something I'd like).
>
>   - Makes the data file smaller and easier to manage.
>
>   - You can get ZigZag to contain information that changes - eg I
>     could put http://www.slashdot.org/ in a cell and always see the
>     current slashdot headlines!  Or the weather, or the stock exchange
>     values or the MOTD or ... anything!
>
>   - There's Perl modules to support this sort of thing, so it's not
>     hard to code.
>
>Negatives:
>   - You can no longer just give somebody a zigzag.data file and
>     guarantee that's -all- the info they'll need to display the
>     dataset it contains.  But we could write a utiliy to run over
>     the cells and list all the relavent files fairly easily.
>
>   - Figuring out when to update the data from files that may change,
>     like URLs.  This could make startup slow if we have a zag that
>     contains 100 URLs and they all try to load at startup!  Need some
> [...]
 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.09.25:
"Love is the marshmallow on top of the blood-and-guts sundae we call life."
 TN 98.07