:zz: Marks of Distinction

Continuing this merry fracas,

Andrew gets this right:

>Once marking on a given group is terminated you presumably increment the
>mark group number for next time.

Naturally.

>The current mark group number probably
>needs to be stored in a system cell somewhere.

Right.

Then back to what I quoted already:

>Well, as I understand it the idea is to have the first cell in each
>mark group linked to the next mark group in d.marklist, so that you can
>step through all the mark groups.

Andrew, you are exactly right that we need a list of
 the separate marks.  But d.marklist is not for that.

What we should have instead is a list of current marks
 like the dimension list (also a ringrank)-- and connect
 the first mark cell to it.  But in which dimension?

I think d.2.

So it would look like this arrayed in d.2/d.marklist:
markname - markcell 1 (also containing the name, at present)
                - markcell 2 (")
                - markcell 3 (")
etc.

ChrzT

At 02:59 AM 8/10/98 +1000, you wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 10:10:35PM +1000, Gossamer wrote:
>> Ted Nelson wrote:
>> > The idea is that bunches of things can be marked,
>> >  and each bunch has a separate list on d.marklist
>> >  (maybe it should be d.listmarks?)-- so that a cell
>> >  can be marked variously in different bunches.
>>
>> The way I am imagining this is it's sorta like regular highlighting,
>> only instead of doing it with just yellow you have a whole bunch of
>> pens.  So then you can go back and say "Do X to all the bits I marked
>> red".  Does that make sense?
>>
>> Except of course, with ZigZag, the "colours" are m.1 m.2 ... etc.
>
>Yes, that sounds right.
>
>> The part I'm not sure about is the marklist part ... I feel like I'm
>> being dumb.   "A separate list on d.marklist" -- how do I do that?
>
>Well, as I understand it the idea is to have the first cell in each
>mark group linked to the next mark group in d.marklist, so that you can
>step through all the mark groups.
>
>> Also, what keys would I set it to?  Or no keys at all?   At the moment
>> I just have M and m mapped to marking and unmarking in m.1.
>
>Once marking on a given group is terminated you presumably increment the
>mark group number for next time.  The current mark group number probably
>needs to be stored in a system cell somewhere.  Then there also needs
>to be a way to modify existing marks.
>
>> Feeling proud she's half-implemented mark when
>> she didn't think she could.
>
>Well done!
>
>Cheers,
>	*** Xanni ***
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.net/xanadu/                   Technical VP, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technical Editor, Glass Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 3 96511511

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day, 98.07.25:
"The principal determinant of whether you meet your goals is how you set
them."  TN98