:zz: Markity Mark

Dear Bek and Andrew--

**Looks like we're homing in here.**

Also looks as if Andrew is beginning to think like me
 on interfaces!  (WOOPS!)

>Ted, am I correct that the idea is that performing a marking operation
>enters "marking mode", and any operation other than marking or cursor
>moves (including quitting ZZ!) exits marking mode?

That's the style I like.

Morelver, Andrew has come out with exactly my
 1988 design for marking a whole rank:
>Another way to do it is "M<dir>M<opposite dir>",
>which is good because the Alt-keystrokes are hard to do via telnet.

Exactly.  A better reason that it's good is that it uses
 the same idea twice, rather than requiring the user
 to learn a different command (the use of Alt).

Indeed, I don't see the need to distinguish between
 "m" and "M".  The real problem is how to end the
 command before typing a direction to mean "move".

(Possibly we should have an "end command" command--
 for use only when necessary-- though I've already had
 perfectly good results by typing an implausibly long
 string of numbers followed by "g", which beeps and
 forgets :)

Note, indeed, the following generalization of marking
 (perhaps not very useful but harmlessly present):
M <dir, dir, dir, dir ...> marks a bunch of half-ranks
 starting at the present cell.

All best, Ted

At 02:50 AM 8/10/98 +1000, you wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 21, 1998 at 04:08:43PM +1000, Gossamer wrote:
>> How about:
>>
>> m - Mark current cell
>> M + direction - Mark half-rank
>> Alt-M - Mark whole rank
>
>Looks good to me.  Of course, you still have to indicate which direction
>with "mark whole rank".  Another way to do it is "M<dir>M<opposite dir>",
>which is good because the Alt-keystrokes are hard to do via telnet.
>
>> > Note that any consecutive marking operations continue
>> >  to mark into same marklist.  (Cursor moves do not
>> >  end the marklist.)  But hop, break, newcell, edit, etc.,
>> >  all end the marking of that list.
>>
>> This is possible, but a -pain- to implement.  I can do it though :)
>
>Ted, am I correct that the idea is that performing a marking operation
>enters "marking mode", and any operation other than marking or cursor
>moves (including quitting ZZ!) exits marking mode?
>
>Cheers,
>	*** Xanni ***
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.net/xanadu/                   Technical VP, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technical Editor, Glass Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 3 96511511

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day, 98.07.25:
"There is always far more to be explained than you possibly imagined would
be necessary when you started explaining."  TN98