Persistent data structures

I came across a brief mention of "persistent data structures"
in the Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science (Leeuwen, ed., Mit Press),
Volume A, Chapter 6: Data Structures, Section 4,
in a different meaning than I've usually heard the term in (as in
persisting on disk). They talk about persistent data structures
in the sense we usually talk about versioning and include some interesting
references (haven't had a chance to look at them yet but here they are):

Driscoll, Sarnak, Sleator and Tarjan[53]
	Making data structures persistent, J.Comput.System.Sci 28(1989)86-124

Tsakalidis[204]
	SIAM J. Comput (to appear) (on jo varmaan)

Mehlhorn, Näher and Uhrig[148]
	Deleting versions in persistent data structures
	Tech report, Univ. of Saarland, Saarbruecken

	Tuomas