Re: [zzdev] Rotation, new view system

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> While Benjamin was in Finland there was some talk about renewing the view system.
> Specifically, views used as subviews of other views were discussed.

I find that terminology confusing-- it sounds like the purpose is that
one view is _always_ called by the same other view, thus being the
other's "subview." I see that "subwindow" doesn't make too much sense,
but something along these lines...

I have been sick and mainly unable to work on the new view system. I
know what the main problem is, though: the data structures. Basicly, the
view system we worked out when I was in Finland is a directed network
without loops, not a tree-- and I haven't found an efficient way to
represent that in Java yet. I'm inclined to let the issue rest at the
moment and write a quick-and-dirty slow-running powerless implementation
using a mere tree that can be extended later.

> There's now a great need for something like this, as with the paper
> (see Documentation/Manuscripts/HyperRFC) we discovered that
> rotating the connected parts that float, the view is much clearer
> than without rotation.

I don't think I understand. First, you mean 2D rotation, not 3D, right?
Second, what kind of rotation do you mean-- making them float in
circles, but in the same orientation (the text is always straight up, as
you expect it to be) or real ROTATION (i.e., the text itself is rotated
around its center)? And, what would be the benefit of that?

I can find nothing related to rotation in HyperRFC/hyp.tex. Where
exactly should I look?

> I think that the Java2D possibility for using rotation would be best
> done at the level of individual subviews - that way, Java1.1 clients
> that do not have rotation do not have to pay for it (i.e. having a
> rotation variable for each VOb would be way too much of a price to pay).

I don't understand. What do you need a "rotation variable" for? And what
would you gain if you put it in the vobset ("subview") instead of the
vobs? Or do you want some callback into the views, or what? I'm lost.

> Probably it would be done so that each subview is its own flobset-like thing
> but here the problems arise of how to do the flob<->cell identifications etc
> properly...

Again, what is the problem? Sorry, but could you please try to rephrase
and explain the whole thing?

Thanks,
- Benja