Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] GZigZag and education?

Hi Kimmo!

Kimmo Kristian Wideroos wrote:
> The limitation of the paper approach is relevant notion.
> Hmmm... I think we've been describing two different tools for slightly
> different purposes. Your emphasis is on concepts, my is on small
> documents, chunks of writing. Maybe it could be possible to make a sketch
> of a metamap, which could be used as a basis for both tools, for a variety
> of maps -- what do you think?

I don't really have an idea how that could work. Could you specify?

> > Some properties of the mind-map I'd like to see in this are:
> > * Beauty. Good mind maps have soft curves and look "smooth," "natural" etc.
> > * (Associative) connectivity, not separation in boxes.
> > * Annotation. In mind maps, you draw symbols etc. next to mind-map stems
> > to communicate additional information. (In fact, that is what gzz
> > applitude interconnectivity will give us automatically.)
>
> Also, I would like to be able to 'decorate' the node texts (box, cloud
> etc.), to drag the note in different position in relation to the accursed
> element and also to resize the notes. Summa summarum, my aim is to allow
> the user to express his ideas also via the layout.

I agree to most of these points. However, I don't see how you want
repositioning to work. What's going to happen when the user accurses
another note/concept? How's the information going to persist / what
should it influence? I'd think it's better if the view decides about the positions...

> Besides, it would be nice to use the stems as you pointed earlier.

That's not forgotten. :)

I might actually implement a very primitive version of a map relatively
soon, though I'm not sure yet: it seems to be quite a good way to group
symbols for use with my programming applitude. If I get around to do
that, we could think about how we can improve it.

- Benja