:fw,xu: Re: Am I correctly understanding [Floating World] ZX?

Hi Jack--

Thank you so much for this note.  You certainly understand the
 overall objectives of the Xanadu project and its new open-source design
 on top of Gzigzag, Floating World.

I will be quoting your excellent summaries of the Xanadu concepts below.

I do not know what Rebol refers to but will try to look at the sites cited
 in the next few weeks.

Best wishes, Ted

At 04:53 AM 8/27/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Ted: I am the moderator of the Rebol_New mailing list and wanting to
>interest some Rebol programmers in writing some front end software
>for Xanadu/ZX. I'm working on a message to submit to the that list
>and also the Rebol list, and also to put on my web page. Does the
>following accurately reflect the design of ZX?  I'm not sure about
>the bit level addressing. Also, in a message a few months ago, I
>mentioned the book "Mirror Worlds". You asked me to summarize it.
>This article I wrote does that:
>http://home.earthlink.net/~jackseay/jack/2techs.html
>
>-----
>
>I have been spending the last month trying to learn to create web
>pages with Dreamweaver and Fireworks. While both of these are
>incredible in many ways, they also show up the defects in the
>HTML-Javascript-Flash-Shockwave-CSS-CGI way of creating things. The
>tools are huge, complex beasts. You have to understand the
>compromises needed to target various versions of different browsers
>on different OS's. HTML is user hostile for attempting to create a
>page layout. It requires endless plug-ins to make up for its'
>deficiencies. The users don't generally get to edit anything you
>create to produce their own versions and add comments, etc.
>
>Rebol could help create better tools to edit web pages as interim
>projects, but the ultimate goal should be to replace the Internet as
>it exists today with something better: a stable data pool interacting
>with multi-dimentional browser-editor-camera-microphones. Rebol is a
>new generation language, being hardware independent, incredibly small
>(and thus fast, easily upgraded, and nearly bug-free), easy to learn
>(yet powerful), and has an interactive programming environment. It
>also has built-in graphics, including image processing.
>
>What programming projects are likely candidates for major coordinated
>efforts?
>
>Start with simple data structures that have no built-in limitations
>as to: 1. the type or amount of information they can contain or: 2.
>the types of manipulation and interaction with user/creators.
>
>Something like Xanadu could add the ability for anyone to edit
>anything produced by anybody. The original version of a
>document-picture-audio-video would still be available, the original
>owner would automatically get paid royalties for all quotations and
>revised versions. Nothing would get lost: not links, documents,
>versions, or addresses. An infinite number of document ID's are
>available, thanks to an ingenious addressing scheme. Basically, the
>whole universe of information is treated as if it were all one
>document, and every single character, pixel, movement, edit, and
>sound can be addressed. Normally you would address either a full
>document or segment (span), but it is possible to get more specific,
>down to the bit level. It is also multidimensional, not just 3-D, but
> [...]
Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965