:zz: Trees and Family Trees (was Re: [zzdev] A Brief Introduction to TreeRaster

AJ sez
>Ted: this raster will not (directly) understand the structure you use
>in the genealogy demo, but I believe that with a slightly different
>structure it'd be possible (idea: use human children as the tree parents).
>Or we could make another raster for it :-)

Hey, I've always said any view is valid.  Everybody gets to see the world
 their own way, tree-dwellers included !-)  I don't expect to have any uses
 for this myself, but fine for those who do.

"Family trees" are only true trees if you figure the females have no
 ancestry -- no longer a politically correct view-- and make other odd
 adjustments to prune genetic reality.

Best, T

At 04:05 PM 7/26/00 +0300, you wrote:
>A working tree raster appeared in GZigZag today.  New ZZ spaces will
>contain four versions of this raster in the raster list which one can
>browse using 'v'.
>
>The tree raster sees the structure as a tree (a structure where one cell
>is a root, and a root has many children cells, and the children may have
>children of their own etc).
>
>The structure of a tree (as defined by this raster) in the space is
>the following:
>
>  - we have a "depth" dimension and a "breadth" dimension.  Any dimension
>    can be either one (this is controlled by the x and y keys in the
>    default keybindings).
>
>  - one of a cell's children is the cell's positive neighbour along the
>    depth dimension; all other children can be reached by moving poswards
>    along the breadth dimension from this cell
>
>The parameter "depthhorizontal" controls how the tree is displayed.  If it
>is true, then a cell's children lie on the cell's right.  Otherwise they
>lie below the cell.
>
>The key "x" controls the horizontal dimension and the key "y" controls
>the vertical dimension, as usual.  Thus, if depthhorizontal is true,
>"x" controls the depth dimension and "y" the breadth dimension.  The "z"
>dimension is ignored.
>
>If there are connections from the visible cells along the depth or
>breadth dimensions to cells which would not be part of the tree proper
>or which would normally not be shown for other reasons, the cells on the
>other side of the connections are shown considerably smaller than usual,
>to show that there is more there.
>
>If the "treelines" parameter is true, then red lines show parent-child
>relationships between cells.  ZZ connections are drawn in black, as usual.
>
>Barring bugs (that you should report!), the raster will survive  and show
>*any* structure you give it, however complicated.  Tuukka and I have given
>the raster tough testing which it has survived.  However, the usefulness
>of using this raster for arbitrary structures can be questioned :-)
>
>Ted: this raster will not (directly) understand the structure you use
>in the genealogy demo, but I believe that with a slightly different
>structure it'd be possible (idea: use human children as the tree parents).
>Or we could make another raster for it :-)
>
>I'll be away (or mostly so) the next two weeks, between 2000-07-27/08-10,
>inclusive.  But I'll read email.
>--
>%%% Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho % gaia@xxxxxx % http://www.iki.fi/gaia/ %%%

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965