Re: [zzdev] A big suggestion

Hi Benjamin--

I haven't had time to look at your suggestion in detail,
 but I think there may be a miscommunication.

You offer
>A recommendation to applitude programmers to split up their applitude's
>data into "things," as small as possible, which adhere to ...

The whole point of ZigZag is that separate aspects of
 the world are *not* separated into different things.

An applitude is a zone of functionality which is *not*
 split off.

A key problem with the conventional computer world
 (like OpenDoc etc.) is this segregation.

>I've also included a detailed specification of a possible
>set of interfaces inside this system.

That's what the whole design is about-- especially
 figuring out which dimensions and constructs work best.

Anyway, I look forward to studying your piece.

Best, Ted

At 11:54 AM 7/27/00 +0200, you wrote:
> [...]
>no older edit cursor on the stack, the view quits editing mode.
>
>RATIONALE: A thing can have many handles (when cloned), and more than
>one of these handles might be placed on the same screen. For example, I
>could clone a figure two times in a thing cloud. Now, when the edit
>cursor is inside that thing, which of the clones on my screen do I edit?
>Oh, possibly I could show the insertion cursor in each one of them, but
>when I quit editing the figure, to which higher-level thing do I give
>the edit cursor back? To the one from which I reached the thing, of
>course, and keeping track of this is the responsibility of the edit
>cursor stack.
>
>SPEC (Requesting edit cursor): A viz may or may not accept the edit
>cursor. If it does can be found out by calling its boolean
>acceptEditCur() method. If it accepts the cursor, ZZCursor getEditCur()
>can be called, which creates a new edit cursor inside the thing. A viz
>type might specify other parameters to call getEditCur with; for
>example, ZZTextVizType specifies getEditCur(int pos), so that the edit
>cursor is positioned at the beginning when the insertion cursor comes
>from the left, and at the end (-1) when the insertion cursor comes from
>the right.
>
>SPEC (Requesting menu cell): To get the start cell of the thing's menu,
>the ZZCell getMenuCell() method is called. It may return null, in which
>case the thing doesn't have a menu. Menu cells may be requested only if
>a viz accepts the edit cursor.
>
>SPEC (Requesting key binding lists): A viz must define a method ZZCell[]
>getKeyBindingLists(). The cells returned by this method are the starting
>cells of key binding lists (the events are found poswards on d.2, and
>the corresponding actions are found poswards on d.1 from the events).
>The key binding lists are used in order: if the event isn't found in the
>first list, the second one is searched, then the third one etc. Key
>bindings lists may be requested only if a viz accepts the edit cursor.
>
>SPEC (Requesting sub viz): To request the visualization of a subthing
>inside the thing of a visualization, the ZZVisualization
>getSubViz(ZZCell handle) method is used. The handle given is the handle
>for the subthing, which must be placed inside the thing.
>
>RATIONALE: When the view wants to request the menu cell or key bindings
>list of the thing its edit cursor is in, it needs to call that thing's
>viz. Because the sub vizzes are generated by the higher-level vizzes to
>visualize their thing's subthings, the higher level vizzes need to be
>called for the lower-level vizzes.
>
>SPEC (Finding the viz associated with the edit cursor): Start with the
>highest level viz as the current viz. For every handle accursed by a
>cursor on the edit cursor stack, starting with the first item put on the
>stack: call the getSubViz method of the current viz with this handle.
>Set current viz to mean the viz returned by getSubViz.

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965