Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] ZZ-space and using its dimensions

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 02:42:41PM +0900, Ted Nelson wrote:
> I'm not sure about this new Linuxy meaning of "deprecated"--
>  in this context, you mean Obsolete ?-)

New?  Linuxy?

From Jargon File (4.2.0, 31 JAN 2000) [jargon]:

  deprecated adj.  Said of a program or feature that is
  considered obsolescent and in the process of being phased out,
  usually in favor of a specified replacement.  Deprecated features
  can, unfortunately, linger on for many years.  This term appears
  with distressing frequency in standards documents when the
  committees writing the documents realize that large amounts of
  extant (and presumably happily working) code depend on the
  feature(s) that have passed out of favor.  See also {dusty deck}.

This words in this meaning is nothing new (it has been part of the
Jargon file at least since 1992, which means it had to be commonly used
for some time at that time).  And it's definitely not in any particular
way related to Linux, it's more like standardese.

--
%%% Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho % gaia@xxxxxx % http://www.iki.fi/gaia/ %%%