:zz: Palm Pilot Problem

You said:

>I have a plea for you. Please could your 'trellis' system of handling
>information (which is the way I like to think of it) be implemented on the
>Palm Pilot or Palm PC devices BEFORE they are implemented on a desktop.

But the code is the same!  Basically our development path is

1)  develop in Perl (quickest) under Linux,

2)  see about compiling C directly from Perl,

3)  see about taking C code derived from Perl
 to the Metrowerks platform,

4)  compile from Metrowerks outward to
 PC, Mac, Palm Pilot, PlayStation.

To try to go directly to the Palm Pilot by
 some other route would take *much* longer.

However, we'll interpret your suggestion as
 "Take it from Metrowerks to the Palm Pilot *first*."
 And consider how that impacts the project.

Thanks so much for your interest
Next email: How to get ZZ boot disk, etc.

At 07:03 PM 5/10/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi Ted,
>
>How's your didjeridu practice going? I hope the cassette and booklet from
>my acquaintance Peter Kaye is useful, and if you want to know more there is
>a lively discussion group at didge.net.
>
>I thought your presentation at WWW7 had the seed of a solution to a fairly
>major problem that exists in biological information systems. The problem is
>to do with having a field system which a) helps prompt you to look for the
>key diagnostic features that identify a species of animal or plant, and (b)
>to record that you have seen it at a place at a time, etc. I am programming
>the Palm Pilot and as a zoologist have found this to be exactly the device
>needed to actually help field biologists (rather than distract them by
>turning them into systems administrators).
>
>I have a plea for you. Please could your 'trellis' system of handling
>information (which is the way I like to think of it) be implemented on the
>Palm Pilot or Palm PC devices BEFORE they are implemented on a desktop.
>
>I'm just going to spend some time browsing your sites.
>
>Cheers
>
>Alex
>
>Alex Thomas
>Biological Information Systems Developer
>PO Box 520 , Narrabri NSW 2390
>mailto://ajt@xxxxxxxxxxx
>http://www.peg.apc.org/~ajt
>Msg. 61-7-3830-5438

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Second Quotation of the day, 98.07.06:
Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift.  That's
why it's called the Present.  -- Author unknown