Re: Foot-shooting and going to OO

Having thought over the problem of increasing
 special cases and restrictions, I think it justifies
 going to OO programming (presumably Java
 on Metrowerks) for the next major revision.

As I understand it, OO will make it easier and safer
 to constrain activities on particular dimensions
 and cell types.

A slight complication is that cell attributes and
 anatomies will have a virtuality that maps oddly
 to OO, but we'll get to that.

ChrzT

At 04:13 PM 5/20/98 +1000, you wrote:
>On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 09:29:43AM +1000, Gossamer wrote:
>> How far do we go to stop people shooting themselves in the
>> foot?
>>
>> You get a really cool crash if you delete the cursor - start up
>> with a new dataset, press the left arrow 4 times and then delete.
>> You'll have to ^Z and kill -9 %1 to make it go away, even.
>>
>> Should we check for this?  What about when people delete some of
>> the 'main' dimesions from the dimension list, or do other "dumb"
>> stuff??
>
>Well, at the very least we should have enough error-checking to detect
>these situations after they've happened and bail out gracefully with an
>error message, rather than just freezing or crashing.  We should also look
>at ways to change the design so it relies less on "magic" hard-coded
>links.  Finally, we need to discuss what sort of restrictions and
>conditions we could or should add to prevent users from causing trouble.
>
>Cheers,
>	*** Xanni ***
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.net/xanadu/                   Technical VP, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technical Editor, Glass Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 3 96511511

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day:
"Ted's Law of Laws: There's always something left over."  Ted Nelson, June
1998.