ReRe: [zigzag] ... How clones work-- YUP

Brent Turcotte said:

>If the clone cell had the contents of its master, that would
>mean storing the cell contents twice.  Wasteful and expensive
>if the cell contained graphics.  I assume you mean the clone
>cell _visualizally_ looks like the original.  I assume the
>clone cell contains a reference to the original cell, either/or
>via a bidirectional link or a cell reference in the cell content.
>(a bidirectional link would allow a user to scroll though a
>series of clones, a cell reference in the cell contents would be
>a direct link)

Guess how connected?  The CLONE DIMENSION.

>Visually, you could edit the clone but it is original that would
>change internally.

Exactly correct.

Best, Ted

At 04:21 PM 9/10/99, you wrote:
>>Very original and possibly useful, but you've got it backward.
>>
>>A clone cell doesn't have the connections of its master,
>> only the contents.  So the guaranteed same contents can be
>> in more than one place.  If you want to link those contents
>> in the same dimension twice, you clone them.  Right now the
>> visualization is crude, but it'll get better.
>>
>>Best, Ted
>
>If the clone cell had the contents of its master, that would
>mean storing the cell contents twice.  Wasteful and expensive
>if the cell contained graphics.  I assume you mean the clone
>cell _visualizally_ looks like the original.  I assume the
>clone cell contains a reference to the original cell, either/or
>via a bidirectional link or a cell reference in the cell content.
>(a bidirectional link would allow a user to scroll though a
>series of clones, a cell reference in the cell contents would be
>a direct link)
>
>Visually, you could edit the clone but it is original that would
>change internally.
>
>Brent
>
>At 02:03 AM 11/09/99 +0900, you wrote:
>>Hi--
>>
>>Your thought:
>>
>>>OK, I think I get it.  You would clone the whole spreadsheet.
>>>The individual cell contents would be maintained in the orginal
>>>dimensions of the spreadsheet.  In the clone dimension, each
>>>and every cell would be copied but their would be no contents
>>>in the cells themselves (or there might be a cell reference
>>>indicting where the cell contents are maintained).
>>>What would be copied would be all the horizontal and vertical
>>>links from the spreadsheet.  And each empty cell in the clone
>>>dimension would have a link to the orginal contents along the
>>>clone dimension.

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England

 - - -  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx    - - -  world-wide fax 1/415/331-4422
 - - -  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    - - -  http://www.xanadu.net

 - - - - - Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
Quotation of the Day, 99.09.07
Everything is interconnected, but not uniformly.  TN99