Re: [zigzag] :zz: Childhood infls. on ZZ?

On Tue, Sep 29, 1998 at 12:41:51AM +0900, Ted Nelson wrote:
> I was deeply impressed by the game of "Qubic"
>  when I was 10 or 11.  (It's still available.)
>  Tic-tac-toe in 3D, 4x4x4.  Quite simple really,
>  and no special advantage to the center.

I played that; there's also an analagous 3D extension to chess.
I believe it was occasionally shown in Star Trek - both the original
and newer series - and a Trek branded 3D chess set is still available.

> Also by Heinlein's "And he Built a Crooked House"
>  when I was 14 (a guy accidently builds a 4D house
>  and gets lost there-- I think).

Yes.  Great story.  The house is built as a 3D projection of a tesseract
(intentionally) but due to an earthquake it folds itself up into 4-space
and the architect and client have some considerable trouble with it!

> I take this as a license to reminisce more
>  on such matters whenever the fit overcomes me...

Please do!

Share and enjoy,
		*** Xanni ***
--