LOOK WHO'S COMPETING!

In the group meeting on Tuesday, I waved the
Hypermedia issue of Electronics (Feb 90),
especially an article with pictures of me and
Engelbart and van Dam.  I hadn't read it all
when I showed it to you.

Toward the end I find:

       Van Dam is lining up venture capital
    to launch Praxis, a Providence startup
    that will produce an electronic media
    system for technical documentation.            [ WHOA! ]
    And Nelson's Xanadu system will be
    released later this year initially for Sun
    Microsystems Inc. work stations.  "It is
    an interconnection and history server
    that will revise the way that informa-
    tion is used in every field," he says.

The article ends with several paragraphs
of sententious stuff from Van Dam that is
just as true now as when I said it.  Note:

       Still to be ironed out
    are standards for hypertext.                   [ RIGHT! ]
    "No hypertext systems are compatible
    and they cannot swap information,"
    says van Dam.  Standards efforts are un-
    der way to bury link services within           [ EH?! ]
    the operating system.  That would en-
    able writers of application software to
    build in hypertext capabilities.

Sound like a good idea?

Van Dam has been competing with me since 1957,
when he appeared as the CIA spy in my rock musical
at Swarthmore.  Back when almost nobody had
heard of the CIA, of course.

Theodor