easy to miss bug (even in structured debug)

that's why I want to use a macro.  We give the macro our desired
semantics, then have it expand to whatever gives us the best compiler
type-checking.  XLint could then expand it differently.

Note that expanding the macro to NULL or to the type give different
kinds of protection.  If we expand to NULL, then you must explicitly
cast when you decide to assume that the pointer isn't to NULL.

dean