C Interfacing Options

Roger's already summarized the meeting between he, markm and
myself and the various options we considered at that time for
the level of interfacing to offer C programmers. I'd just like
to add my thoughts with respect to each of these options:

1) Tranceiver level with BNF -- I wouldn't want this alone but
I agree with Roger that since a lot of debugging will be done
at this level it might have to be documented sufficiently to
enable developers to track what's going on. But I'm not yet convinced.

2) Docs & Links libraries -- I'm not sure why roger believes
this one will require the most work, but this is where I think
the emphasis should be placed. A simple set of interfaces at
the 88.1 level are -- I believe -- what most c programmers will
expect and want. I think it's fine to let them use their existing
libraries (hell, encourage them even) if they wish; if they're
successful developers now, my guess is that they got that way
at least in part by having pretty good libraries to begin with.

3) I'm not sure there's much point to this one since as roger
points out anyone attempting this approach will have to learn
our X++-based tools (which means learning at least something
about c++) and they wind up not much better off, complexity-wise,
than if they'd just gone straight to c++. I'd prefer treating
pointers to c++ classes as void *'s. In my mind, "reducing the
mystery" doesn't follow perforce from giving struct access (I'm
more interested in reducing the misery), and I worry about the
consequences that will follow from the inevitable abuses.

4) This is the most interesting one to me, but from where I sit
looks like it will require the most work. The idea is similar
-- although not completely analogous -- to the Macintosh Package
Manager, wherein various complex concepts are packaged into compact
pieces of code which are then accessed via a simple, well-defined
interface. The Macintosh List Manager, Standard File (the standard
file-selection dialog you see on an Open command), and even the
floating point libraries are accessed in this manner. If we could
provide a set of interesting packages (e.g., text-editing, link
& document creation) we not only simplify the whole process,
we also creat some standards that can exist across platforms
and help establish some Xanadu interface conventions. Obviously
a considerable amount of thought will have to go into the interface
designs.

5) I share roger's agnosticism, but agree that it probably wouldn't
be too much work. One thing to consider is that most Mac C programmers
don't even use stdio, and depend instead on the usual set of
I/O facilities provided with most Mac C compilers (interfaces
to the File Manager, Window Manager, etc.). On the other hand,
virtually all C programmers in the PC market depend heavily on
stdio as far as I can tell.

to C programmers, and perhaps some documentation of what's going
on at the transceiver level. We should consider strongly the
notion of specialized subsystems wherever they make the most
sense.

-- bobp