possible garbage collector problem...

What if both "g" and "h" were declared
   as returning Strong pointers (not references to strong pointers)?  My
   reading of the language definition is that the foo and bar temporaries
   generated as above would then be Strong pointers, and all would be
   well.  I'll try this out soon and let you know.

This was the solution I had in mind.  I think it works, but it implies
that most return values are typed as strong pointers.  What happens if
we cast a wimpy pointer into a strong pointer?

dean