XanaStatus for the Board

I promised you a copy of the status report I created for Chris to show the
board; here it is.

Status Of Xanadu, 8/14/89

In the last status report for the board, progress was measured
against the March PERT chart projections. We will continue to
refer to that PERT, to afford a stable anchor point, though dramatic
revisions to that PERT have been made.

Candidly, progress as measured against the March PERT  has been
slow. Many tasks which had not yet been identified in March are
now included in the PERT, increasing our knowledge of how long
it will really take to complete. Delays have occurred in the
high-reliability disk handler which is required to protect large
information pools, and in the completion of the high-level interface
from the backend to the frontend applications.

The delays in backend-frontend interface also contributed to
slips in the frontend . And we have had frontend delays in implementing
one of the key visual representations, the "inclusion list",
which unifies many of the functions of a file directory, a document
outliner, a conference listing, and a mailbox, within the hypermedia
context.

We conducted a major triage on the planned product on 8/7, to
prune elements that could be postponed until a second release.

Despite these disappointments to our March intentions, real progress
is indeed being made. The high-level interface from the backend
is now complete, getting both the backend and the frontend moving
forward again. Progress on the ent, which is the key proprietary
technology underlying the system, is still on schedule.

Due to the cuts identified in the triage, Alpha test for the
backend has moved up significantly; it will be available for
use by Autodesk this month, in August.

Alpha testing for the frontend begins in November. Beta for the
backend begins December. Beta for a partial version of the frontend
begins in January; Beta for the full frontend begins in March.

The key PC frontend programmer position has been filled. We are
closing on hiring our developer support person, who may be able
to write some of the software as well as promote it.

The first draft of the marketing plan was completed in mid-July;
the second draft is now in circulation. The marketing plan suggests
a slightly different target market for our first frontend than
originally planned. We have modified the frontend design to support
this new positioning; the modifications will have negligible
impact on the schedule.

--marcs